How much does debt recovery cost?
Each case is different, meaning costs will be discussed with you following an initial consultation. Our charges are usually calculated according to the number of hours engaged working on your case, with each hour charged at £250 plus VAT at 20%.
Pre-action letter of claim
For all debt values up to £100,000 our fee is between £100 and £250 + VAT at 20%
These costs apply where your claim is in relation to an unpaid invoice which is not disputed and enforcement action is not needed.
If the other party disputes your claim at any point, we will discuss any further work required and provide you with revised advice about costs if necessary, which could be on a fixed fee (e.g. if a one off letter is required), or an hourly rate if more extensive work is needed.
|Debt Value||Court Fee||Our Fee|
|Up to £10,000
|£35-£455 depending on the value of the claim||£750 to £1500 + VAT at 20%|
|£10,001 to £25,000
|5% of the value of the claim||£1500-£2500 + VAT at 20%|
|£25,001 to £100,000
|5% of the value of the claim||£2500-£5000 + VAT at 20%|
Anyone wishing to proceed with a debt recovery claim should note that:
- The VAT element of our fee cannot be reclaimed from your debtor.
- Interest and compensation may take the debt into a higher banding, with a higher cost.
- The costs quoted above are not for matters where enforcement action, such as the bailiff, is needed to collect your debt.
Our fee includes all of the work in relation to the following key stages of a claim:
- Taking your instructions and reviewing documentation
- Undertaking appropriate searches
- Sending a letter before action
- Receiving payment and sending onto you, or if the debt is not paid, drafting and issuing claim
- Where no Acknowledgment of Service or Defence is received, applying to the court to enter Judgement in default
- When Judgement in default in received, write to the other side to request payment
- If payment is not received within X days, providing you with advice on next steps and likely costs
How long will it take?
If your debt is settled once the debtor receives our letter before action then this may take just 4 to 6 weeks. If we need to issue court proceedings and obtain Judgement then a timescale of 3 to 6 months is more realistic.
Our debt recovery team is supervised by Martin Davies. To learn more about Martin please click below